Vincelli: Party of 6

Vincelli: Party of 6

Sunday, September 6, 2009

WHAT NOT TO SAY

I’ve heard a lot of hurtful comments. I know people don’t mean to be offensive, they’re just naive. But naive makes is sound so negative…it’s not that their necessarily naive – they just don’t know. They’re just trying to say something…anything…and sometimes it just comes out wrong.

But please, please, please, avoid saying these things that truly hurts someone going through infertility.

• “Just don’t think about it and it will happen.”
• “You’re lucky. We’d love to have time without our kids.”
• “If you’d stop stressing out about it, maybe it would happen.”
• “I know exactly what you’re going through, it took us 3 months to get pregnant.”
• “You can take my kids!”
• “So & So prayed, and they got pregnant right away.”
• “This was an accident. I didn’t want to be pregnant in the winter.”
• “All I have to do is look at my husband and I can get pregnant.”
• “Maybe you aren’t meant to have children.”
• “Just go on a vacation.”
• “Adopt and then you’ll get pregnant for sure.”
• “Get a dog and then you’ll get pregnant.”
• “Are you sure you’re doing it right?”
• “You’re so lucky you don’t have to use any contraception.”
• “You don’t want to get pregnant anyway. It totally ruins your body.”

1 comment:

  1. People can be really ignorant. We have heard it all during our infertility, adoptions, and now Joshua's birth.

    ReplyDelete