Vincelli: Party of 6

Vincelli: Party of 6

Friday, January 6, 2012

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION

I received this in an email a few days ago from MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers).
http://www.mops.org

I can totally relate to everything Heidi wrote! It's as if she took the words right out of my mouth. This was refreshing for me to read and even though I never make New Year's Resolutions, if I did, this would be a great one. Maybe I'll try it...



My New Year’s Resolution
By Heidi Rogers, mom of two

I am what most people would classify as a perfectionist. Type A. A goody-goody. You know, good grades, hard worker, natural-born leader…all that jazz. When it comes to life, I’ve done things “right.” I set my goals and I accomplish them.

But when it comes to mothering, all that flies out the window. I want to be patient during tantrums in the middle of aisle 12 and during colic at 3 a.m., but I find myself feeling guilty for snapping at the whining and crying over the crying. I forget to change diapers. I give up easily in the battle over vegetables. I want to scream when sleep and naps don’t take place. And sometimes I do scream.

I have never been more humbled than I am as a mother. Striving for perfection and mothering just don’t mix. As appealing as it seems to have it all together and react calmly to every hiccup I encounter, I’ve found I learn more from mistakes and seeking forgiveness. My New Year’s resolution for 2012? No more resolving. Instead, I choose to sit in the place God has placed me, and let Him shape me into the mom I could never be on my own.

Dear God, thank you for not expecting me to be the perfect mother. Show me how to step back from striving and let you transform me instead. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment